Monday, September 30, 2013

Glenwood Springs Getaway

This past weekend I met up with Lauren and Chere for a Girl's Weekend in Glenwood Springs. We hung out at the hot springs, went for a hike, and ate too much. All the signs of a good weekend!


I've been wanting to hike to Hanging Lake for over a year now but it's pretty far away from home, so when we decided on Glenwood for our getaway, I asked if they wanted to hike it too...and luckily they agreed! I've heard it's a beautiful hike and it's not very long so it was perfect to squeeze into Saturday afternoon.

STATS:
Hike: Hanging Lake
Location: Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Date: September 28, 2013
Round Trip Length: Approximately 3 miles (including the paved portion)
Elevation Gain: 1,020 feet

I just loved this "stepping stone" portion of the trail!
Lauren, Chere and I - almost to the top!
Hanging Lake - isn't it gorgeous!?






Overall the hike was definitely worth it! It was extremely beautiful, however, don't expect to have much peace and quiet to enjoy the surroundings. The websites I read were not lying when they said to expect crowds. It was not even peak season and the parking lot was just about full! There were only 1 or 2 parking spots available when we got there at around 2:45pm. But we had fun nevertheless, and I think I annoyed Lauren and Chere just as much as I annoy my husband by spending way too long taking a million photos!

I decided to run the way down (it was fun!), which meant I had a little time to spare waiting for Chere and Lauren...so I jogged an extra mile along the Glenwood Canyon bike trail:

How gorgeous is this? Doesn't it just make you want to go for a run!?
And then I ran under I-70 for a bit...not quite as serene as the above photo.
On Saturday night we went back to the hot springs, slept in on Sunday, and then went to a late breakfast before heading our separate ways home. I decided to take the scenic route along McClure Pass in hopes of seeing some fall foliage:

Mt. Sopris - 12,965'
Fall is seriously the most beautiful time of year!
I decided to go check out the town of Marble, and stopped at this beautiful lake for a quick photo.
The weather was incredible! It was a beautiful 70 degree day!


There was still a bit of green so I'm thinking next weekend will be just perfect (not that this isn't gorgeous).

The south side of McClure Pass had barely started changing colors. It was strange considering how colorful the north side was!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flattop Mountain & Hallett Peak

I've been wanting to hike to the top of Hallett Peak ever since I found out it was the gorgeous mountain towering above Dream and Emera...